Whoa 2018 went by fast! Now it is that time of year to look back at everything that happened as time flew by.
In 2018 we made 69 unique brews. 48 different beers and 21 different kombuchas
Our brewery team has grown to 14 amazing people each bringing their own style to the brewery.
In 2018 we made 69 unique brews. 48 different beers and 21 different kombuchas, variety is the spice of life after all. A few really stand out in my head and I cannot wait to see everything we create this next year. (See the full list at the end)
Sea Monster Series
Our Sea Monsters series began with the intention of brewing beasts of a beer. Very few beers should be aged and I cannot wait to see how this series and these beers changes over time. Our plan is to brew 2-4 of these a year and release them in regular alternating intervals.
- Leviathan. We chose a Russian Imperial Stout to start off the series and at 12.5% ABV it did not disappoint. Huge chocolate and roasted flavors with a nice hop bitterness. Next release date early January 2019.
Every craft beer drinker has a beer that turned them on to trying new flavors. In this series we brew the style of beer that got each person on our team interested in beer.
- Origin II – A beer made similar to Rogue Brewings Dead Guy ale. This was by one of our brewers Drew the “Big Kabrewna”
- Origin III – In march Bobby the “Beer Engineer” moved out of state, to say farewell was this american pale ale.
- Origin IV- Kolsch Hearted Woman. Jackie the “Onsite Ringmaster” wanted a light easy drinking Kolsch.
Our tap handles and taproom glasses got a nice upgrade, plus we finally have hats.
Brewers Working Together
A neat project on the production side was to team up with Cha and Ryan at B&Js Pizza to work on our brew house efficiency. We use the same grain provider and shared notes from different techniques to more quickly gain results that are tested on two different brewing systems.
Brew house efficiency is the percentage yield based on the amount of grain and the size of the batch. For example if we put in 50lbs of Barley to get 1 Barrel of beer (31 gallons or 2 large kegs) with an efficiency of 76% we would yield roughly a 4.5% ABV beer.
By working together we were able to raise our average efficiency from 76% to 91%. This means we only need to use 42lbs per Barrel to achieve the same ABV. You may have noticed both of our breweries average ABV spike up somewhere mid Sept-Oct as we started seeing our improvements kick in and started learning our new yields.
In addition to our joint project with B&Js Pizza, we also stepped up our QC game a lot this past year. It was one of our major priorities. We acquired a few more toys for measuring different aspects of the beer and kombucha process. But more importantly we implemented daily testing, greatly improved our yeast management procedures and many other changes but most importantly we learned a lot in the process.
We started the Second Saturday Shindigs. Which means every Second Saturday of the month we will have 4 food trucks, live music and a growing market of vendors in addition to the normal new beer of the week. I really cannot wait to see what this looks like in another year!
We hosted a lot of great events:
- Weekly Beer Yoga with Ashley Chapa of ANC Fitness and Yoga
- Toy Drive partnering with the Christopher R. Gregoire Scholarship & Memorial Fund and the Purple Door
- Our first of many Booch Basics class lead by our very own Kombucha Queen (Alexis)
- Sushi 101 Classes continued this year with D’Lish Foods
- Muerte: Tales of Horror a film by a local team lead by Chris Ambris (Featuring Mrs. Lazy Beach)
- Horror Audio Drama lead by Pete Lutz (Featuring Mrs. Lazy Beach again!)
- 7 Course Food Pairings happen about 3 times a year with the Chefs of the Coastal Bend
- London ISD Fundraiser
- Painting & Pints happened multiple times lead by Kaleigh Glover
- Breast Intentions benefiting Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Quarterly Beach Cleanup
- 2nd Annual Ward Island Wannabes Fundraiser
- Back to School Bash
- Belly Dancing & Brews We are sad our fearless leader Lacey Williams had to move!
- Cinco De Mayo Fiesta
- Life’s a Mother Podcast Launch Party (Still going strong after 20 episodes!)
- The Food Truck Smorgasbord! (It is sad to see how many food trucks are not around any more)
- Crawfish Boils
- Mardi Gras Bash
- The first official Wedding of 2 Lazy Beaches
We were also lucky to be part of a lot of great events happening this year.
- Corpus Christi Brewery Festival – 2nd Annual
- Veterans Day Brewery Bash at B&Js Pizza
- Que Bueno Taco Fest
- KEDT Classic Brew benefiting our PBS station
- Port A Replant It
- Surftoberfest at Surf Club
- Brew HaHa at American Bank Center
- Farm to Table hosted by Grow Local
- Barefoot Mardi gras parade
- The Haunted Halloween Music Festival put on by Joint Venture
- Craftoberfest 2018 at Dr. Rockits
- 1/2K by the Bay Beer Run at the Art Center
- Brew and Shine Fest at Justice Label Distillery
- Wing & Beer Pairing at Bluffalo Wings
Beer released in 2018
- Feeling Hazy
- North Padre Porter
- Amber Jacked
- Crawfish Cookoff
- Blue Crush- (Islander Saison)
- Hazy Monk
- Lovers in the Surf
- Origin II – by Brewman Drew
- Skipper – English Porter
- C-Water – w/ C101
- 1799 Stout
- Origin III – American Pale Ale
- Hot Cubana
- Corpus Christi v.16
- Choppy Waters
- Poblano Wit
- Cockney Porter
- London Beer Flood
- Corpus Christi v.17
- Lazy Toad
- Bikini Bottom Gose
- PeeWee’s Pecan Porter
- SMASH Calypso
- The KOOK
- Origin IV- Kolsch Hearted Woman
- Hot Shandy
- Squeeze Ya Later IPA
- Saharan Dust IPA
- Summer Stout
- Teacher Juice NEDIPA
- Amber Waves
- Farmer’s TANgerine Wheat
- Pumpkin Beer
- Taco’Bout Wit
- Emergency Sobriety Blocker
- Corpus Christi v.18
- Belgian Blonde
- Rudolph’s Red
- Pecan Paradise
- Substitute Teachers’ Juice
- Session IPA
- Beach in Wheat
- Texas Bock
Kombucha Released in 2018
- Coastal Sunrise
- Orange is the New Booch
- Ginger Spice
- Island Hopper
- Skinny Dipper
- Plum Cove
- Pretty in Pink
- Apple Pie
- Secret Santa
- Honey Boo Boo Chai
- Co Co Kombucha
- Leaping Leprechaun
- Sage Wisdom
- The Watermelon One
- Sweet Melissa
- That Guava one
It is really hard to look back and see all the changes that happened over the last 12 months but my gut says we are making the best Lazy Beach beverages ever and that we are on the right track to keep on improving everything over the next year.